CARMEN School: How to Effectively Address Non Communicable Diseases in 21st Century-Version 2-2013
The participants will develop a thorough understanding of a comprehensive approach to addressing the health problem of Chronic Non Communicable Diseases.
The UN High level meeting on NCDs in NY in 2011, Regional Strategy for Prevention adn control of NCDs 2012 and Plan of Action for NCDs 2013-2019 bring capacity building for NCD prevention and control as prominent on the global and regional agenda.This will be the second time that course is offered through a virtual campus. There is a vast experience in capacity building through "face to face" courses in the Americas through the CARMEN school. The course " How to effectivelly address Non communcable disease in 21st centry" is targeted to Caribbean NCD country managers and managers in related areas: Health promotion, NCD Epidemiology, diabetes, CVD or cancer program managers The participants will develop a thorough understanding of a comprehensive approach to addressing the health problem of Chronic Non Communicable Diseases.
- To position the prevention and control of NCDs in the actual global, regional and national context.
- To understand the decision-making and action-taking process in Evidence Based Public Health.
- To become familiar with successful surveillance systems and methodologies in the Americas.
- To understand the applicability of policy tools for the prevention and control of chronic non communicable diseases.
- To understand Social Marketing and its applicability to public health problems and behavior change.
- To understand the Chronic Care Model and be able to apply the components to intervention development.
KEY AREAS / MAIN THEMES:
- Evidence Based Public Health
- Policy Analysis
- Non communicable Disease Surveillance
- Social Marketing in Public Health
- Evidence Based Management
Undergraduate or gradute diploma; work experience related to NCD prevention or control
10 weeks for the entire course comprised of 5 modules
September 23 - December 6, 2013
Online, with tutors
EXPECTED NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS:
Maximum 40 participants (2 per country)
This course is targeted to NCD country managers and managers in related areas: Health promotion, NCD Epidemiology, diabetes, CVD or cancer program managers.