Virtual Course: Training of trainers for Problem Management Plus (ToT PM+) -2021
Introduction to the course
The Mental Health Gap Action Programme (mhGAP) recommends a set of psychological and pharmacological interventions that both specialists and non-specialists can implement. Within the Region, there is a need to develop psychological interventions in a simplified form, allowing them to be quickly learned by non-mental health professionals.
The purpose of this program is to develop a virtual course that incorporates the fundamental knowledge and skills for the preparation, provision of training, follow-up, supervision, and monitoring of a PM+ implementation plan with the professionals identified in each country.
The course’s objectives are to help participants:
- Gain in-depth knowledge of the WHO Problem Management Plus (PM+) (Individual psychological help for adults impaired by distress in communities exposed to adversity manual)
- Acquire the methodological competencies (content presentation, role-playing, case studies, modeling, group work, etc.) and skills necessary to deliver a PM+ intervention training course to non-specialists.
- Adapt the training to the virtual modality; adapt tools, methodologies, time management, participants' expectations, among others.
- Acquire skills for implementing, monitoring, and supervising the PM+ intervention.
Participants can expect to attend 8 synchronous sessions of two hours each, distributed once a week which gives a total of 16 hours. An average of 4 to 5 hours of course/study time of asynchronous work (group and personal/individual) for each of the weeks including the duration of the webinars, where modules will be running for a total of 40 hours.
Course Structure and Content
- Introduction to the scalable psychological interventions, the manual structure, and PM+ strategies
- Skills for a good PM+ facilitator
- How to supervise in PM+
- PM+ program implementation
- Consideration of cultural and gender differences, basic helping skills to build a supportive relationship and deal with complex contexts
- Tools for PM+ assessments and selection of persons to join the PM+ intervention
- Concept of adversity, the PM+ intervention, coping with stress
- Coping Strategies
- Get going, keep doing
- Strengthening social support
- Strategies for maintaining and regaining wellness
- The full summary of the plan implementation