WHO virtual seminar for the Region of the Americas. Human genome editing: A framework for governance and recommendations
This regional seminar was organized by WHO, in coordination with PAHO's Regional Program on Bioethics, to discuss the reports of the Expert Advisory Committee on Developing Global Standards for Governance and Oversight of Human Genome Editing, and the next steps for their implementation in the region.
The mentioned reports are:
- Governance framework https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240030060
- Position paper https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240030404
- Recommendations https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240030381
The session had simultaneous translation to Spanish and English.
- To discuss the findings and recommendations of the WHO Expert Advisory Committee on Developing Global Standards for Governance and Oversight of Human Genome Editing, and
- to identify next steps in implementation at regional and country levels.
09:00-09:15 am - Welcome and introductions
- Dr. John Reeder, Director, Research for Health, WHO
- Dr. Carla Saenz, Regional Bioethics Advisor, Department of Health Systems and Services, PAHO
In Memoriam Dr. Ana Sánchez Urrutia, Panama
09:15-09:35 am - Presentation of the work of the Committee
- Professor Alta Charo, University of Wisconsin, United States of America
- Dr. Jamie Metzl, Atlantic Council & OneShared World, United States of America
- Professor Françoise Baylis, Dalhousie University, Canada
09:35-10:00 am - Discussion moderated by Dr. Carla Saenz. Questions and answers
- Discussant: Dr. Sofia Salas, Bioethics Center, Universidad del Desarrollo / Facultad de Medicina Clínica Alemana (Chile), PAHO/WHO Collaborating Center in Chile.