World Patient Safety Day: Health Worker Safety: A priority for Patient Safety
The COVID-19 pandemic has unveiled the huge challenges and risks health workers are facing globally including health care associated infections, violence, stigma, psychological and emotional disturbances, illness and even death. Furthermore, working in stressful environments makes health workers more prone to errors which can lead to patient harm. The pandemic has exerted unprecedented pressure on health systems worldwide. Health systems can only function with health workers, and a knowledgeable, skilled and motivated health workforce is critical to the provision of safe care to patients. On World Patient Safety Day 2020, PAHO invited to the regional Webinar with the theme: Health Worker Safety: A Priority for Patient Safety.
Slogan: Safe health workers, Safe patients
Call for action: Speak up for health worker safety!
Later, on Friday, September 18, 2020 at 2:00 p.m. (EDT), on Facebook Live there was also the ASK THE EXPERT SESSION - The safety of health workers,
The 2020 World Patient Safety Day focused on Health Worker Safety: A Priority for Patient Safety, to raise global awareness, participation, and commitment of multiple stakeholders, to foster solidarity and the adoption of measures to promote health worker safety as a priority leading to patient safety.
Moderators: Lic. Hernán Sepúlveda, and Dr. Benjamin Puertas, Advisors, Human Resources for Health
- Welcoming. Dr. Amalia Del Riego – Unit Chief HSS/HS
- A comprehensive approach to patient safety within the framework of quality of care in health service delivery. Dr. Jonás Gonseth-García, HSS/HS
- A comprehensive approach and health situation of health workers from public health in the context of COVID-19. Dr. Julietta Rodríguez-Guzmán, FPL/ST
- Management of human resources for health and patient safety in the context of COVID-19. Dr. Malhi Cho, HSS/HR
- Infection prevention and control in patient and health workers safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. Dr. Joao Toledo, PHE
- Questions and Answers - Participants are invited to submit in advance questions about the situation and challenges regarding the health of healthcare workers and patients in the context of COVID-19, as well as in the chat of the session.
- Closing of the session: Conclusions and next steps - Dra. Amalia Del Riego HSS/HS