What is the Campus?
The Virtual Campus for Public Health (VCPH) is the learning platform of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO). The goal of the Virtual Campus is to contribute to the development of skills and competencies of health workers, while supporting the transformation of public health services and practices in the Region of the Americas.
The Virtual Campus is a decentralized network of people, institutions and organizations that share courses and open educational resources about topics related to public health that are relevant to the countries of the Region, through the use of information and communication technologies.
To lead strategic collaborative efforts among Member States and other partners, to promote human resources for health training, for all people, in all places.
To serve as the virtual platform of reference for human resources training in public health in the Americas.
- Public Good
- Permanent Education
- Support development of local capacity-building
- To build and maintain a virtual space for interaction, learning, and networking to develop technical competencies among public health workers, and capacity building for institutions dedicated to providing public health training and services.
- To promote and disseminate continuing education policies for the development of public health workforce competencies that respond to countries’ priority needs.
- To strengthen the professional competencies and training capacities of teaching institutions and public health service providers.
- To contribute to the integration and systematization of national and sub-regional efforts to manage public health information and knowledge.
- To strengthen the leadership role of the Virtual Public Health Campus as an essential tool for continuing health education in the region, through its operational relationship with the Virtual Health Library.
- To promote the benefits of information and communication technologies for distance education, as well as the technological connectivity and capacity of institutions that provide health services and training.
- To develop and share training and networking methodologies and tools tailored to meet the needs of countries in the Americas.
- The conception and design of the Virtual Campus of Public Health are the product of ideas and experiences from the first approaches made from the launch of the Initiative in 2000.
- Starts the launch of the pilot phase of the Virtual Campus of Public Health.
- Opens the process of signing the Memorandum of Understanding which includes the first thirteen partner institutions.
- Special Statement of the Director of the Pan American Health Organization, Dr. Mirta Roses at the 4th Regional Coordination Meeting of the Virtual Library, Brazil. Reaffirmed the "commitment of PAHO to the construction of the Virtual Campus of Public Health to progressively put in networking initiatives National, international and regional continuing education for health workers".
- Inaugural speech of the Director of PAHO, Dr. Mirta Roses, "in this period as encourage the strengthening of information systems, health monitoring, measuring inequality and disease burden, and the analysis and use of information for decision making in partnership with other international agencies".
- Today more than 140 institutions of the different nodes representatives participate in the Virtual Campus of Public Health.
The Virtual Campus for Public Health has this following models:
These components and their actions are embodied in a working network that meets the needs of health systems and services, in accordance with the Essential Public Health Functions (EPHF) and within the framework of the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals, the Health Agenda for the Americas, 2008-2015 HHR Goals and Action Plan for Toronto.