The Virtual Campus of Public Health is a network of people, institutions and organizations that share courses, resources, services and activities of education, information and knowledge management in training, with the common purpose of improving the skills of the workforce and practices of public health through the development and innovative use of information and communication technologies for continuous improvement in the performance of continuing education programs in health. Is itself a tool of the technical cooperation of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) for networked learning in the region of the Americas.
The VCPH has six main components
that correspond to their respective benchmarks: governance (management),
education, skills, technological, financial and evaluation.
- Campus governance as a dynamic process that guides management, standard and evaluates educational activities network of institutions, organizations and individuals involved in VCPH to fulfill its mission.
The educational paradigm adopted by the campus whose base is in the implications of
Networked Education and the techniques and methods of Continuing Education in Health, which have been experienced and developed by PAHO in coordination with public health institutions of the countries of the Region.
- Maps skills of workers and public health institutions that need to correspond with the needs of the systems of public health services to strengthen its offer substantive;
- The information and communication technologies (ICTs) that are integrated into the strategic model as valuable tools to ensure effective decentralization and increased coverage of the educational process to help strengthen institutional autonomy and teamwork and, finally;
- Ensuring financial and material resources by mobilizing external and internal.
- The communication strategy aims to increase and strengthen the critical mass necessary for the VCPH will become a network of Public Health Education, to assist the development of the RHS.
- The self-assessment and evaluation that allows for feedback and improvement of management processes, education and technology developed in the VCPH.
These seven components and their actions are materialized in a networking approach that meets the needs of health systems and services, in correspondence with the Essential Public Health Functions (EPHF) which are framed in meeting the Millennium Development Goals, the Health Agenda for the Americas, 2008-2015 RHS Goals and the Plan of Action of Toronto.
Develop through cooperation, interaction and learning, networking, institutional capacities and skills of workers to maintain a continuous education process to enable continuous improvement in the performance of public health practices through a management model that operates in a cooperative and decentralized, with the participation of institutions that provide health services, controlling, consultants and trainers, as well as the technical and professional associations that make up the workforce in public health in the countries Region of the Americas.
The Virtual Campus of Public Health is an excellent opportunity for networking that enhances knowledge management and continuing education programs for developing human resources and public health institutions, which has contributed actively in the initiative Public Health in the Americas, through the improvement of essential functions and practices of Public Health, and consequently in realizing the commitments contained in the Health Millennium Development Goals.